Every few months I will have a dream about a subject I have interviewed or will soon be interviewing for a story, usually a musician. These are my work stress dreams and they offer absolutely no insights into these characters. But I feel compelled to make a record of them.
Last night my dream interview subject was Calvin Johnson (above), the musician and proprietor of K Records who I have interviewed numerous times throughout the last year for my book, Love Rock Revolution. These are the things that I learned. Pease note that none of this is true!
- The K Records offices are now located in the lunch room of my alma matter Tomah Senior High School in Tomah, Wisconsin.
- Calvin works out, heavily, every day and has ever since he was 4, the age at which he was given his first treadmill.
- At one point Calvin was in a band called the High Life Society and they are thinking about reuniting (judging from the VHS tape he played for me, they sound a lot like the band Papas Fritas).
- Calvin vehemently denies the rumors that Dub Narcotic Sound System* will be reuniting. In fact, when this was suggested he got on the phone, called all the band's various past members and informed them of as much.
- K Records was once in league with a motorcycle gang. This relationship lead to a hearing before the Washington State legislature, after which K was exonerated, but the motorcycle gang leader, who looked like Lemmy of Motorhead fame, was fined $500.
*This is a real band that Calvin was actually in until 2004.
Photo by Hilary Harris